I’ve been looking for a while to find a webpart that would show all the subsites of a particular sharepoint site. If you google this, there appear to be lots of people looking for the same thing.
Well, I’ve just found an old reference which, a slight update for MOSS 2007 seems to work at a basic level. The source is: Show Sub Sites in WSS Sites but you have to look out for the “Attachment launch now!” bit. I’m going to repeat the relevant bit here but updated for 2007 (apologies if this is done elsewhere…)
Show sub sites in MOSS sites
You can use SharePoint Designer to show a list of sub sites in a MOSS site.
An example of a sub site is a document workspace. An overview of all available sub sites provides an easy way for users to navigate to these workspaces.
1) Open your site in SharePoint Designer
2) Open the Data Source Library task pane
3) Connect to the XML Web Service that provides information about the sub sites.
- Click on Connect to a web service in the XML Web Services section.
- In the Data Source Properties enter the Service description location: http://ServerName/sites/YourSiteName/_vti_bin/Webs.asmx?WSDL
- Click on Connect Now and select:
- Port: WebsSoap
- Operation GetWebCollection
4) Add the information to your home page
You can drag and drop the newly created data source to your home page. A list of sub sites will be shown.
5) Change the way the information is shown.
By default a plain list of the sub sites will be shown. You can change this list, and for instance make the URL’s clickable. As you hover over the title field, right click and select:
- Data Field: Title
- Format as: Hyperlink
6) Amend the rest of the layout to suit your design.
That’s it – I’m no coder so this comes with all usual warnings but it seems to work for me.